Followers

WELCOME

Welcome to the Order of the Opus Gluei!!!

New challenges every two weeks and open to YOUR interpretation - all art forms are welcome!

Come and play with us!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Challenge #101 - Get Steamy

Steampunk is an art form that is influencing art, writing, and other aspects of popular culture.  It embodies fantasy and sci-fi aspects with roots in the late Victorian era (late 19th century).  Some of the more common art aspects are gears, brass and copper contraptions, goggles, intricate looking devices,
and so on. 

Some of you might remember an old television series - the Wild Wild West, in which the actors portrayed government agents in the employ of President Ulysses Grant and they were able to do amazing things from their seemingly mundane railroad car (which was secretly tricked out) - to me, that's kind of the idea of steampunk.  A wink at what is possible scientifically and entering into the realm of the fantastic.

Almost a quaint sort of technology that seemed limitless.  

Those seeking some more highbrow examples can look to the works of H.G. Wells (The Time Machine) and Jules Verne (the Nautilus submarine, for a start).

So, hopefully you are getting the gears in your brain humming and clicking with all that steampunk can embody and can turn that into a bit of art to share amongst us.

We want you to GET STEAMY

*****
Rosemary here and I decided to let Steampunk inspire me to make a couple of ATCs.




I also made a box for adding all those ideas that I get during the day and write on paper, in lists, etc. but never have anywhere to put them.  So I found some wonderful clip art of patents and designs and people and used them along with wonderful Tim Holtz items.

The box all together
detail of the top of the box


*****
Jana here: I went small this time. I made a set of inchies. Not very successful in the Steampunk department. But I started making them and they just took off in their own direction. You know how that goes....



*****

So put on your amazing goggles, pull out the tech specs and GET STEAMY!

4 comments:

Hazel said...

Oh what a challenge - I did a steampunk digi yesterday, but I won't cheat and link that (it's on my blog already) x

Zoechaos said...

My first time here and not sure if my work is the sort of thing you guys do but what the heck it was fun! XOXO Zoe

Electra said...

I agree with Zoe, it was fun! But then it always is here. Your samples are inspiring, Poobahs, thanks for this great theme!

Birgit and Marni said...

Loving this challenge. Just took a 'Beyond Silhouette' class last night and low and behold it was a Father's Day Steam Punk class. So here is my Steam Punk faux book for Father's Day. Thanks Poobahs for a great challenge! I am liking Steam Punk a lot. Have a great day!